Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Oh-for-April

It's been about six week since I made my last blog entry, and by now I'm sure I'ver lost all my readership with the exception of a few very close friends and of course the Bush Administration's Blog Squad. Even Terry from Texas has probably given up on me, which is a shame, because I would have had plenty of caustic things to say baseball-wise about the goings-on in April. But the news for my loyal readers is, ta-da, I'm not dead yet, even if they think so in Hollywood.

I've taken this hiatus for several reasons. Firstly I have developed a tired-arm condition, diagnosed as recently as today as emanating from an ulnar nerve problem, which manifests itself mostly when I type at the computer. Bad posture, the bugaboo of Jewish mothers everywhere, is finally backing up on me. I also suffered from blog fatigue, a pseudo syndrome marked by personal ennui with my own tired repetitious blatherings. Okay, I may be smarter and more articulate that than most, but after two hundred fifty blog entries I am beginning to exhaust my trove of philosphical insights. The rest is commentary concerning other people's repetitious flounderings (see Bush Administration, above).

I am also sadly aware that there are probably over 80 million blogs (no exaggeration) so maintaining my own is the height of conformity. Wow, there are even more blogs than there are stations on my cable. And if I can't keep up with the latter, how can I hope to reach a populace whose attention is divided among 80 million websites? So this becomes more of a private diary on a very public platform. Only as a means to exercise my writing skills does this engagement have any purpose.

All that being said, I still do have opinions, and was not in a coma the month of April. I've just been bemoaning the physical decline of myself (and more urgently, my poor dog, vomiting away and under constant antibiotics); the appalling performance of my baseball rotisserie team, mired at the bottom of the standings along with other former annual winners like the Atlanta Braves; and the fact that I have really no opinion whatsoever about the so-callled Immigration crisis. I do have a thought regarding the high price of gas. It is this: TOUGH SHIT. Stop buying SUVs, stop driving everywhere for every reason and clogging ourt nation's arteries. Acknowledge that the situation is not an oil-company construct but the natural development of market forces caused by emerging economies in Asia. Do something about developing alternative energy sources, and not just the pie-in-the-sky hydrogen engine but using some of our excess corn to produce ethanol, which powers most of the car engines in Brazil.

We are such a bunch of fucking whiners.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

welcome back, amigo. I thought Dubya's Gestapo had spirited you away to Guantanamo for "re-education". Bring on the caustic baseball comments! My Rangers and Diamondbacks are in first place, and my Phillies are ahead of Atlanta. :-)

11:50 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home